Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What's your occupation?

"Occupation"......that is something everybody wants to know or, thinks they need to know. Even setting up this blog account somebody wanted to know my occupation. Why is that important?

We so often try to put people we meet in "little boxes"....this one does this or another does that. Then we place "status" as to who is the more important based upon what they tell us.

What if your "un-employed"? Is that an occupation? Or, what if you are "retired" or "disabled" do these count as occupations?

Whenever I am asked that question I am always tempted to ask in return ..."what part of the day are you talking about"? It changes!

During the course of the day I could be an "office worker", when I go home for lunch I become a "nurse for a bedfast member of my family". During the evenings or certain weekend days I'm an "evangelist". Then there are times I am a "parent". At other times I become a "counselor" and it isn't beyond me to be a "student"

I won't say much about the times that I am "gofer" or an "errand boy" as that wouldn't make me sound very important ...would it ?

1 comment:

  1. Well Pat I am going to tell you that I am a little ole West Virginia Hillbilly and proud of it ,,, so what is my occupation..... I am a White House Press Photographer.... so anyone can make it if you put God first and then set your head to whatever it is you want to be, I have been there 7 years so far.

    Nance

    ReplyDelete