Tuesday, April 28, 2009

" Tell me...when a tree falls in the forest does anyone hear it....does anyone care?"

I don't know where I was or what I was doing at the time I heard my "title line" but, it has stuck to my DNA. Consequently, I pondered it often.

I love kids.....I really mean that....I love them! I don't care about their background, what they have done, what color they are, where they live, .........nothing.....I don't care. But, I can honestly say....."I Love Them"!

Consequently, they break my heart because so many of them are "disconnected from reality".

" I am a self-proclaimed expert on young people"! I'm not ashamed to say that. No one can change my mind! My statement is "non-negotiable". You may have your opinion about my opinion but that won't change or alter mine in anyway.

" What makes you "so qualified" ...it's a fair question.

I have raised five children....four boys and a daughter. They are all grown and in most cases have established families......nearly all of them have children of their own. From my grown children I have nine grandchildren. In some cases the grandchildren have their own children...thus you can add two great-grandchildren to the mix. Counting only my children, grandchildren,great-grandchildren....there are fourteen.....and I love them all..........equally ...yet in different ways.

My "bride" of 36 years is an educator. She has all kinds of degrees and is not only qualified to teach but has taught classes in Special Education, and Foreign Languages. She can even teach "English".... a 2nd language to me.................that's a joke! Although qualified to teach children of all grades she has spent most of her teaching experience with middle and high school aged children. So, what has that done for me? I'm a people watcher by nature. She has always involved me in school activities and that has given me a lot kids to watch and study.

A regular monthly activity of mine takes me into various prison and juvenile jails every month. I've done this for nearly a decade. I have encountered kids...make that children...of all ages. They have been charged with crimes that run the gamut from "skipping school, to arson, rape, drugs, robbery, stealing cars and murder"!

I've ministered in prisons all over the world. I have embraced some really bad people in my travels.... even a "hit man" with a record 45 murders! In all these cases, the only time I have ever "ministered" to an inmate in "chains and shackles" it was a child. .....a ten-year old child! It has happened more than once...........

When you take a young person out of their home environment and place them into jail a strange metamorphosis takes place. They don't look like criminals....but rather just a bunch of kids one would find in any junior high or high school class.

So why are they there"

I've heard it all..." I was framed, I was set up, I'm not guilty, I'm taking the wrap for somebody else. My parents, my aunts and uncles....my brothers and my sisters.....are in jails, prisons...what have you"! Some even take pride in the fact that they have been incarcerated four and five times....."it's a Red Badge Of Courage to them".

"It makes me want to scream.....stop the madness"! "But, would anybody hear me....does anyone care"?

Case in point.

Some time back I was coming out of the home of an extended member of our family. A loved one had died earlier that day. Just across the street was a small group of Junior and High School boys. They were talking with an acquaintance who was sitting on a very fast "All Terrain Vehicle". It was a racing model. Not even getting to my car that was parked nearby this young man started this machine up, revved it loudly and then proceed up the street.........a public road...a crowded public road ....at a high rate of speed and gaining more..............on only ...."the back two wheels"! It was a foolish and deadly stunt that continued for nearly a quarter mile.

That action went thru me like a "bullet", but what made it worse, was the laughter and support this "young fool" received from his mates!

I walked over to these kids...with the question....."who is that idiot"? Is he a "friend of yours"? What he did was foolish and extremely dangerous not only to him but those along and in his path. "Don't you realize, guys, that his "stupidity is a reflection on who you are"? If you are in support of his actions!

I happened to mention that "God's word, The Bible" states quite clearly that "we are known by the friends we keep and that our actions will reflect their actions". (To you my "reader" you will find this in Proverbs..Old Testament. Think of Wisdom, Solomon, it's in there)

Their reply was "ahhhhhhhhh we don't know nothing about no Bible". So, with the time available I let them tell more of how they felt. Our conversation ended with me explaining to them what I was all about and that it would be very wise on their part to make it a point to get to know the "God of the Bible, the God who created them,the One who has a plan for their lives". Or, sadly, I would see them again......"in a jail or prison somewhere"!

"It took less than three weeks....."

I arrived early at one of the jails I minister in and used the time to talk with the kids that had been brought to me....there were more coming. After exchanging small talk with these boys and getting them to relax in my presence one of them asked me where I "preached"? I told him in some detail but also added where I lived. My reply caught one of them by surprise and he jumped in his seat..........and then he said, " I live in the same town you do"! A brief pause in our conversation was soon followed by him breaking the silence........."preacher do you recognize me"?

Looking closely at the boy I didn't see any resemblance to any prior encounter. When you put all those kids in prison garb they don't stand out much, unless they are handcuffed and shackled.

My reply to the lad was " no, should I"? His quite, embarrassed reply was ..."do you remember when that boy took off on his "four-wheeler doing a wheelie'?

Instant recognition!

I said, "Yes, now I do........... very well..........and here we are"! "Was I speaking as a prophet to you that day or what"? ......What could he say other than yes....his words.

It makes me "want to scream....will anyone hear me....would anyone care"

There's more........

No comments:

Post a Comment